Friday, August 2, 2013

Crock Pot Mongolian Beef Venison

I recently posted below about Mongolian beef in the crock pot. I wanted to update you on this recipe as I tried a new variation. If you have a hunter in your house, you undoubtedly have some game in the freezer. I don't care for venison, the idea of sweet little bambi in a plate makes me lose my appetite and I am an eater, I love to eat. So, trying to find uses for bambi to clear it out takes a lot of creativity. I have read about soaking it in milk, but who has time for that? This recipe has such a strong asian flavor, I immediately thought of venison being a feasible option.

Venison cooked looks just like beef, so I won't bore you with more pictures. But, I will say that it tasted great. I don't think I could eat a whole portion as the idea of venison still pushed me away from the table. But, my family loved it, so who am I to argue? The meat literally tasted like beef and the asian flair left no game taste. Happy Hunting!



It's no secret, I LOVE chinese food. Since moving to Minnesota, I have discovered that what I consider good chinese food is somewhat elusive here. No crab rangoon, no hot braised chicken, what's a girl to do? Make my own, of course! I found this recipe, and thought it had a lot of potential. Slow Cooker Mongolian Beef is a delicious recipe. The beef is coated in a gooey, sweet asian sauce, and served over white rice, makes a delicious dinner.



I love any meal that can taste like takeout, but was cooked easily in a crock pot. Makes me look like a culinary genius to my family. Now, a few words of advice. The sugar easily scorches in the crockpot, so if yours runs hot like mine, watch your temperature closely. I put mine down to warm after 4 hours and it still somewhat burned the sugar. It did not affect the flavor, but as you can see above, the sauce got quite dark.



If you give this recipe a google, you will see there are tons of variations. I have seen a few that recommend coating the beef in corn starch first to give it a slight breading. I am very interested in trying it this way too, just to see what the texture difference is. However, this recipe yields the best sauce. This one definitely pleases my family and I will be adding this to my collection of recipes for future dinners!

No comments:

Post a Comment