Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Asian Chicken Thighs

I think I could eat this chicken dish, Asian Chicken Thighs several times a month and never tire of it! It doesn't scream oriental, just gently suggests the most wonderful flavors! The manner in which the chicken is prepared allows it to remain moist and tender, without falling apart. The recipe doesn't say you can or should add anything, but what is Asian chicken without some vegetables or fruit added?!!



The recipe does suggest that you can serve the chicken with rice, but since the day was hot and sticky around here, I opted for fresh corn on the cob and asparagus...perfect choices! As a side note, I want to say that after removing the tough portion of the asparagus, there was no need to remove anything else. When this veggie is young and tender, a quick wash and one cut and it's ready to cook!

This particular recipe calls for Chinese five-spice powder...not a staple in our home. So, I looked it up on pinterest and there are a few versions, all of them fairly easy to prepare, if you desire. I personally added a bit of most of the spices straight into the skillet. I have no doubt I used more than a 1/4 of a teaspoon, but if anything, it enhanced the dish by using more!



My thighs were rather large and we really don't need five pieces of chicken in one setting, so I used three and reduced the amount of oil, but kept all other measurements the same, other than the Chinese powder. During the last few minutes, after having added the cornstarch mixture, I threw in some fresh pineapple...and that was the proverbial icing on the cake! I could also see fresh bell peppers, mushrooms, onion wedges, carrots, squash or whatever else might please your palate!

Another bonus to this recipe is that while the chicken cooks, you will have enough time to prepare your sides, load the dishwasher and hug your family...what a recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment