Friday, May 10, 2013

Easy Cheese Danish



I was in a breakfast kind of mood this weekend and made this fabulous looking easy cheese danish. This is a very common pinterest recipe with many blogs and websites posting this concoction. Because it is common and many people I know have actually already made this recipe, I questioned what value this recipe would bring to The GOOD Pins. However, within the recipe, is a low-fat, healthier version.

I am a perpetual dieter, trying to fight against the genes of wide jeans, so this interested me! I made the recipe exactly as the low-fat version describes. It was a bit dry and the flavor of the crescent rolls was strong from the lack of filling. Also, I used an artificial sweetener in place of sugar and the chemical taste of the sweetener was over-powering to this more delicate dessert.



Now, that being said, this wasn't a bad start to a healthier breakfast dish. I think you really need to keep the filling at 2 bars of cream cheese. One really was not enough. I also think the cream cheese filling could be sweetened with less chemical flavor by using half sugar, half sweetener, or perhaps honey or agave nectar instead. The crescent roll crust baked up nicely and the egg white brushing gave it the perfect top. Another variation I considered was no sweetener to the cream cheese, but a light powdered sugar icing drizzled over the top.

Please feel free to comment below if you have had this recipe and have a suggestion for improving this as I really wanted to love it. I wanted to have a new Go-To weekend breakfast treat, this just wasn't it as the recipe stands.

2 comments:

  1. I think perhaps adding lemon juice to the cream cheese filling, then drizzling with honey or agave would be great.....but sticky for kids. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of flavoring the cream cheese with a fruit flavor rather than sugar. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete