Friday, May 17, 2013

Upside Down Pineapple Muffins

Looking for a dessert that reminds you of the delicious cakes your mother made when you were little? Upside Down Pineapple Muffins are it! All of the flavor and perfectly portioned!



I wanted to replicate the recipe to the exact manner my mother made her wonderful upside down cakes, so I made a few small changes to part of the batch and could fairly compare the outcomes. I put a very small amount of butter in the bottom of some muffin cups and added chopped pecans, just as my mom did! And, as you can see from the picture, I used the pineapple slices in some and cut up chunks in others. Although the rings are great, the cut up chunks fit average sized muffin pans far better. If you are going for wow, use the slices; for convenience use chunks or tidbits. You may also wish to cut the maraschino cherries in half; just remember to place the cut side up in the muffin tins. I also felt the white cake was rather bland. I will use a yellow or pineapple flavored cake mix next time. The recipe does not say, but I highly recommend unsweetened pineapple.



An easier way to measure the right amount of brown sugar needed in each muffin tin is 1 tsp. Because I love brown sugar, I used a rounded tsp...just remember that I am speaking of a measuring tsp. There is a difference! The batter measurement is approx. 1/4 cup per unit.

This recipe is delicious and made a wonderful mothers' day dessert! Thank you, Mr. Food for reminding me what a terrific cook my own mother was and how some recipes bring back those sweet memories!

No comments:

Post a Comment