Friday, May 3, 2013

No Bake Peanut Butter Bars



For this recipe, I dug deep in my personal Pinterest favorites for something different. This recipe, No bake Peanut Butter Bars was a simple breakfast idea. In fact, I seriously thought it was too simple. Only 3 ingredients??? So, I spent naptime yesterday setting out to create these bars. The prep time involved was literally 10 minutes at the most. The hardest part was realizing I had to wait to let them set to try a bite!

My family spotted them last night and decided they had set long enough for an after-dinner snack. These bars are fabulous! They brought back childhood memories of having peanut butter and honey sandwiches as an alternative to jelly. Texture-wise, they slice up nicely into bars although the oats are a little rough. If you aren't a fan of whole oats in things like granola, you might want to make them with quick oats. I really liked the hearty taste of the old fashioned oats though and appreciate the extra fiber content. My only complaint was that the recipe calls for a 9 x 9 pan, and the bars were really thick. I think I would make them in a 9 x 13 in the future to get a thinner bar, closer to a commercial granola or breakfast bar. But this is more of a personal preference.


To be fair to the review, I insisted the guys leave me enough bars for us to try them this morning, following the recipe guidelines. The bars were just as good this morning and very filling. These are definitely sweet, my favorite for a breakfast. You may be able to cut back on the honey a bit, but not too much or the bars may not take on the great, portable shape they were in this morning. This is a really easy breakfast item to make and one you can make quite healthy. Using organic honey, natural peanut butter and old-fashioned oats, it is really a wholesome choice. I think the next time I make these, and there will be a next time, I will add some raisins, a few nuts or maybe even some chocolate chips. The alternatives could make a variety of breakfast bar choices.

1 comment:

  1. I saw your comment on the original Pinterest site, so I had to take a trip over here. I love your picture. One question, using the old fashioned oats, you mentioned a slight problem with cutting the bars, did they just not make a clean cut? Was that all? I also, appreciate the texture and wholeness of rolled oats. These look lovely.

    ReplyDelete