Friday, June 21, 2013

Banana Ice Cream



Okay, so I have seen this a few times, and thought, hmmmm. As many of you know, I have been limiting calories and carbs, so often, I really get a craving. Today, I was thinking about our splurge we have planned all week...Cold Stone. Well, this got me thinking we really should have more dessert. I set off in search of low calorie desserts, and this banana ice cream caught my eye again. I decided to give it a whirl, because I love bananas, what is the worst that could happen? Maybe some mushy bananas.



I will say right now, I did not let my bananas freeze a whole 24 hours...who has time for that when you have a sweet tooth? But, they were frozen hard so I think it was close enough, although the texture might be even more like ice cream if they are frozen all of the way. The tips I saw in looking at the many websites that have this recipe posted included making sure that they are old bananas. Green bananas will be bitter, you want ripe. Furthermore, there are many choices for additions, like chocolate sauce as I did, cocoa powder, strawberries, raspberries, even peanut butter.



A few last comments, be aware, that although there is no added sugar, bananas are high in sugar and carbohydrates on their own. Count carefully! Second, my brother and oldest son both agreed they did not care for it, but they don't care much for bananas, so their judgement means nothing! :) If you don't care for bananas, all of the extra ingredients in the world won't mask the flavor of bananas in this. But, if you do love banana, this will be an excellent alternative to ice cream on a hot, humid day!

No comments:

Post a Comment