Monday, June 17, 2013

Mac and Cheese Muffins



This recipe, Mac and Cheese Muffins, has been posted on Facebook several times over the last few months and I decided it was time to try it! The flavor is fantastic, but be prepared to put a little effort into this dish. You will be cooking the spinach, macaroni and making the sauce at one time, plus preparing the muffin tin, grating cheese & heating the oven. Was it worth it? Definitely!

I haven't used gruyere cheese in very many recipes. After purchasing a mere 4 ounces for almost $7, I know why! But after tasting this, it was worth every cent! Between working and raising a family, boxed macaroni and cheese was always a staple in our pantry. Now that we empty-nestors, we have the luxury of enjoying more sophisticated tastes. Would I make this often? Probably not, simply because of the cost. However, I will make it whenever I want to serve something special to those I love!



A few points on the preparation...use fresh spinach. When the ingredients are this special, your vegetable(s) should be as fresh as possible! I will say that I used minced garlic from a jar and felt I did not sacrifice any flavor. Did you know that 1 measuring teaspoon of minced garlic equals one clove? Makes it simple, doesn't it! Next, when the recipe says to use high fiber macaroni, do it! It is better for you and holds together better. And, as always, cook your macaroni al dente. That is a cardinal cooking rule! Just can't bring yourself to buy a little piece of gold...I mean cheese? You may substitute a mild swiss cheese with similar results. The main reasons to use a cupcake pan are for presentation and portion control. This dish could quite easily be made in a casserole dish. Just don't let the temptation of returning for seconds get the best of you!

However and whenever you serve this dish, you will definitely be pleased with these great mac & cheese muffins!

No comments:

Post a Comment