Friday, June 14, 2013

Homemade Pancake Syrup



I follow an online community for moms where someone mentioned their budget being tight. The ladies jumped in and had suggestions for cutting the grocery budget to the max to save money. One of the suggestions was homemade pancake syrup. My eyes lit up and I began searching Pinterest. Was this possible? As a matter of fact it is! The recipe was sugar, water and maple flavoring. I had sugar, I had water, but where does one find maple flavoring? Right in the spices, next to almond and vanilla! It was a little over three dollars for a small bottle of flavoring, but at such a tiny amount, you can make many batches!



There were many recipes online, and some of them used butter and vanilla with no maple flavor, so it all depends on your preference. Now obviously, pure maple syrup tastes awesome. But this is incredibly time consuming, requires access to many maple trees, and I was looking for something that I could adjust sweetness and flavors myself. In fact, my second batch of syrup I doubled the water, left the sugar the same, and added stevia. This made my batch of 2 cups of syrup come out to be 16g of sugar per 1/4 cup. Some of the best commercial syrups have up to 56 grams of sugar per serving!

The kids ate it with waffles this morning and seemed none the wiser that it was any different (I put it in a clean syrup bottle). The great thing about this recipe is that if you made a single serving, you could make enough for a family of four for breakfast and be able to serve it hot right off the stove!

No comments:

Post a Comment