Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Pumpkin Energy Bars

This great recipe, Jamie's Pumpkin Energy Bars, was submitted through our facebook fan page by a reader who was really interested in the outcome of this recipe. I love anything with pumpkin so this recipe really intrigued me as well.



First of all, this recipe requires a few ingredients that you may not have in your pantry on a daily basis. However, the ingredients are things that can definitely be used for other recipes as well if you are eating clean and/or a high protein/low carbohydrate diet. Another thing to consider is that you can substitute ingredients if you need to. It will change the nutritional value, but I figured the nutrition for all regular ingredients, including oil for the baby apple sauce and real brown sugar for the xylitol, and it still was only 70 calories and 7 carbohydrates, so really a reasonable number for a delicious treat.



As you can see above, these bars are definitely more cake-like than the energy bars you buy in the store. At first, I thought I did something wrong until I read the reviews on the recipe. It seems that this is the outcome for most. When these were fresh out of the oven, I couldn't keep my kids out of them. They tasted like warm pumpkin bread. This recipe is definitely something that will be made again in our house and a special thanks to the reader that suggested I try these!

1 comment: