Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Carne Picada



Another first time dish for this cook and I am so glad I tried it. The flavors in this recipe, Carne Picada, meld perfectly and was delicious over white rice. Others have suggested you roll it up in a tortilla shell or serve it in a taco shell and I believe that would work nicely as well. I had some reservations when making this that the spices and other ingredients would overwhelm the beef, but was I ever wrong! Everything worked perfectly together to create a great supper!

The beef was purchased at a local Walmart and this was the first time I ever bought this cut of meat...or to be more specific, I should say shaved beef pieces! I have never seen it sold anywhere else in this manner. Basically, it's cheaper cuts of beef shaved extremely thin. The recipe says to cook several minutes, then turn to low and let simmer about 15 minutes. I held back on adding the tomatoes, allowed the meat to simmer the full 15 minutes, then added the tomatoes and simmered an additional 5 minutes. Because this is not very tender beef, I would suggest letting it simmer on low 30 minutes, adding the tomatoes 5 minutes before it is done.

You may be able to buy the adobo dry rub at the supermarkets, but I decided to make my own. I found a terrific recipe for it and it made enough that I will use it to season almost any kind of meat from hamburgers to pork steaks. It can only enhance your entree! Because I didn't find the recipe on pinterest (although it may be there somewhere), I am posting it here for your convenience.

Adobo Dry Rub

Adobo dry rub is used to season meat, poultry and fish. You can customize the recipe by adjusting the ingredients based on the spices you prefer.

Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 5 minutes
Ingredients:
· 6 Tablespoons Salt
· 6 Tablespoons Granulated Garlic
· 4 Tablespoons Oregano
· 2 Tablespoons Black Pepper
· 2 Tablespoons Turmeric
· 2 Tablespoons Onion Powder

Preparation:

Mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.

Serves: Makes between 1 1/4 and 1 1/2 cups of seasoning.

No comments:

Post a Comment