Sunday, June 23, 2013

Country Club Chicken



I love this recipe for Country Club Chicken! It's easy, it's delicious and it can be varied...three things I truly love about any recipe! Of course, when trying a recipe the first time, I tend to follow it fairly closely and I did. But, the beauty in this recipe is that (other than basics) you don't have to! If for reasons beyond my comprehension you don't like mushrooms, you could add frozen peas perhaps. If you prefer not to use wine (also beyond my comprehension!) you could use chicken broth. And on and on the list goes!

These are the things I did differently. Looking in the pantry, there was no cream of mushroom soup, so I opted for cream of chicken soup. As much as we enjoyed this dish, I am not sure I want to use cream of mushroom next time and I will definitely make it again! It seemed perfectly wonderful with "c of c" soup! I do not mince much of anything, except jalepenos! I like to taste what I am eating. So, the apple, onion and mushrooms were cut into small bite sized pieces and I could taste each wonderful flavor with every bite! Like the author of this recipe did, I too added a little extra cheddar cheese and mushrooms.



Things I will do differently next time. I will let the chicken bake a little longer. I used fairly big chicken breasts, but they need to cook about 45 minutes in the oven for optimum tenderness. I did not salt the chicken as there is plenty of salt in the bacon and soup. I will also top it with chopped, fresh green onions just before serving, simply because we like onions & it will add a little color to the dish!

Things you might consider. This is not a low-calorie dish. However, with a few adjustments, it could work for those counting their calories. Use low fat cheese and soup. Use bacon crumbles and saute your onions, mushrooms and apple in a little bit of low sodium chicken broth. Use that as well in lieu of wine. Omit salting the chicken.

However you make it, whichever ingredients you choose to use...or not use, this dish is perfect for Sunday dinners, guests you want to please or a great way to say "I love my family!" So, go ahead, get creative, and serve this dish in your signature style!

No comments:

Post a Comment