Friday, June 7, 2013

Crock Pot Banana Bread Quinoa

A dear friend sent me a healthy breakfast recipe right before the weekend. Of course, this inspired me to make a special treat. Crock Pot Banana Bread Quinoa looked like a perfect saturday morning breakfast.

First of all, finding quinoa turned out to be more of a challenge than I realized. I asked at the grocery store, where a young man gave me the look of bewilderment, leading me to believe I may not even know how to pronounce quinoa correctly. He consulted another employee who fortunately, did know where it was. After I found my way to the organic/nutrition aisles, I found the quinoa in the bulk dispenser was completely gone! Apparently there was a rush on quinoa this week! Luckily, there was a bag of Bob's Red Mill, and I was on my way.

I remembered to put the ingredients in the crock pot about 2am on Friday night/Saturday morning. Realizing that I would probably sleep in, I added an extra half cup of water to the mix. I set the alarm for 8am and passed out. When I got up and checked under the lid, I found that the quinoa was less cereal-like and more glue-like. It had scorched and stuck to all sides of the crockpot. Luckily, I was able to salvage the middle and give it a fair assessment.



Despite requiring a razor blade to remove the scorched quinoa from the sides, the recipe itself was actually pretty good. My husband did not care for the texture of the quinoa, as it takes on kind of a thick cream of wheat texture once cooked. I actually enjoyed it a lot, but I grew up on cream of wheat for breakfast. Changes I would make would include adding more spices to the mixture, perhaps cinnamon and nutmeg. Second, I would adjust the water to the way your crockpot cooks. If it runs hot, definitely add more water and perhaps make it the night before when you can watch it. Overall, this recipe has a lot of potential and just requires a little tweaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment